Our April innovator was CORE Entrepreneur in Residence Simon Vincent.
Simon is Co-Founder and Director of Newton Labs, which designs and builds IoT systems for the mining industry to enable realtime intelligence and decision making.
Newton Labs was founded in 2014 following a win at Unearthed’s first Perth Hackathon -Australia's first open-innovation event for mining and resources. After the win and further research Newton Labs joined Unearthed’s Accelerator Program which gave the founders access to mentors, seed funding, business and legal advice. In 2015 Newton Labs rock detection system went on to win the WA Innovator of the Year for emerging innovation.
It was an interesting conversation with Simon giving some frank advice based on his experience. Here are a few of Simon’s tips for start-ups:
- Avoid hype around your product; under-promise and over-deliver.
- Frank feedback is everything. You have to know if you are going to fail.
- Never lose your enthusiasm even when times are hard. Find others who can boost you too.
- To get things done, work directly with the mine site.
- Having a champion makes all the difference. But finding them in a big organisation can be hard.
- Buy local policies backed by government help SMEs contract with big organisations.
Our next Meet the Innovator is with Chris Baudia from GeoMoby on 3 May. DETAILS