In the initial excitement of launching a start-up, key legal considerations can often be overlooked. Knowing the best corporate structure for your business, and establishing appropriate agreements between partners and investors at the beginning can save a lot of money and heart-ache down the track.
We were delighted to welcome lawyers from Mills Oakley to CORE for a breakfast seminar titled "Top 10 Tips for Start-ups". Attendees gained an insight into legal issues to be aware of, and when to seek advice, for their business.
So, what were the 10 Tips?
- Consider your business structure
- Enter into a shareholders agreement
- Look out for key terms in contracts
- Start-up doesn't mean no bargaining power in contracts
- Understand your obligations under Australian Consumer Law
- Understand you IP assets and how to protect them
- Protect your trademarks/brand before using them
- Own your IP when engaging contractors
- Protect your confidential information
- Check your non-disclosure agreements
Michael Brady, Special Counsel for Mills Oakley is now one of our Experts available to meet CORE members as part of our Experts@CORE program. You can find more details HERE.